Thursday, June 18, 2020

Session 21- Hero or Villain?

Yesterday's quick draw session was on a subject picked by me- Hero or Villain? With all the current   controversy surrounding statues and what they represent I thought it would be a relevant theme. I was going to try an oil painting of Winston Churchill who some regard as a hero and some as a villain but then I noticed that it was the 60th anniversary of one of my favourite films so I changed my mind as you will see below.
So high kicking us off is a real fictional hero (should that be heroine?) the wonderful Wonder Woman as powerfully portrayed by fellow Mallorca prisoner Sophie Birritta.

It was great to be joined again by Elsa Lish accompanied by her dad the extremely talented and successful Dan Lish who is SO busy (I'm jealous!) that he couldn't participate but was with us live to encourage Elsa who produced this fabulous drawing of an irate chef chasing a thieving seagull. Elsa has a wild imagination and the drawing skills to back it up. She'll go far! As will that seagull unless the chef catches him. I think the mask is a wonderful detail.

Next, one of our remote members all the way from Morocco it's Khawla Sdour who has produced this gorgeously  rendered portrait of The Red Queen, played by Helena Bonham-Carter, from Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland.
Off with her head! No, not yours, Khawla!

My old pal from a few years ago in Palma- Anna K Lange was with us live from Poland and gave us a hero-  Chris Evans from the film Snowpiercer which she says is brilliant although I haven't seen it. I love the colour and the contrast between the line line and large areas of black. 

We can usually rely on something weird from Julia Xandru and this is no exception!  Apparently, it's an evil god of greed called Kuvera. He is a greedy Lord that sits on top of his wife drinking Jaegermeister He is the hero of other greedy villains like most politicians and businessmen. Basically anyone in a suit! He's so two-faced he's got THREE!
A late addition from Vivian Salzman in Uzbekistan and this one is new to me. I assume it's a comic book character but whether he or she is good or bad only Vivian knows. It's a great drawing though. Love the colours and I'd never think of having a grey background but it sets off the colours really well!

This is my one hour oil portrait of Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in the brilliant Hitchcock chiller- Psycho which premiered exactly 60 years ago! The face looks a bit too long but generally I'm quite pleased with it. "Mother's not herself today!"
Alan Bartlett joined us briefly and later sent me this lovely image of Hero/Villain Napoleon! He was one of the greatest commanders in history whose wars and campaigns are studied at military schools worldwide but to the man in the street he seems to be most famous for saying to his wife, "Not tonight, Josephine!"

Our fabulous gang of scribblers and daubers! We all agreed on the next subject for Sunday-
ANIMALS!
Love to all!
Paul
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment